Monday, September 15, 2014

Wanna know how I know I'm human?

Do you want to know how I know I'm human? If I was robot, I would be programmed to perform perfectly...unless the scientist who created me was an idiot and made a miscalculation.

I'm human because I've perfected the skill of procrastination. Because I burnt my hand on the toaster this morning. I'm human because I sleep through my alarm every other morning as a result of staying awake until two in the morning similar to the way I am right now. And I don't even care. I'm human because I've been outsmartted by Cupid and have attempted to evade his deadly darts of love but still they always come around and prick you like a heat seeking missle. He always tells you it's going to be okay in the end, yet here I stand with the ashes from the bridges I've burnt with people on my shirt. I'm human because sometimes I raise my voice at my mother, the very person who gave me the gift of life.

How ungrateful.

I'm human because I push those who I once cared for and who care about me out of my life. I know I'm human because I had trouble sharing the Legos with my classmates in first grade. Because I swear at slow drivers. Because I have insecurities and was afraid to smile in pictures when I had braces...three years of not smiling is a long time.

I'm human because I have real fears. Real fears about disappointing the ones I love. Real fears about graduation. About growing up. Maybe I wish I was a robot, because robots don't age, right? I am stuck right now, right on the cusp of the conclusion of my childhood and the beginning of adulthood. Of added responsibility. Of making my own decisions and working for my own income.
I'm not ready.


9 comments:

  1. i love the part about cupid.
    This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #stolen. lots of thoughts from this page

    ReplyDelete
  3. quality stuff right here. made me think a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really important.

    "I am stuck right now, right on the cusp of the conclusion of my childhood and the beginning of adulthood."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm human because I have real fears. Real fears about disappointing the ones I love. Real fears about graduation. About growing up." I feel the same way. I don't want to disappoint the people I look up to, but I'm not ready to grow up. Thanks for expressing the fears that we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree 100% with Timothy Kelly and everything that you wrote in here.

    But am I just the worst if I actually laughed really hard at the fact that you burnt yourself on the toaster...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I shouldn't be laughing but I find myself doing the same things mentioned in the 2nd paragraph. So i guess thats just it. Humans make mistakes and have flaws. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'm human because I've been outsmartted by Cupid and have attempted to evade his deadly darts of love but still they always come around and prick you like a heat seeking missle."
    Absolutely true.

    Also I fear becoming and adult. Can I still have fun? Let's talk about it sometime. Oh wait anonymous.

    Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "yet here I stand with the ashes from the bridges I've burnt with people on my shirt."
    Gosh sorry I'm reading all your posts... But oh so good.

    ReplyDelete