Sunday, September 7, 2014

Please Father Time, do me a favor...

 Father Time, do me a favor, and please turn back the clock...
Let me have a single day where time stands still so I can connect with the past.

Grant me one last lunch over a baseball game with Grandpa...
He's been on my mind a lot lately...I just want to let him know Grandma is okay and I want to hear him say "I'm proud" one more time...because these days, as he's looking at me with the bird's eye view I imagine all the deceased to posess, I don't know if he'd feel that way.

Permit me a morning with my dog...my childhood best friend and let me take him on one more walk, that would allow him to forgive me for the countless hours he spent in the house. I'm sorry Colby, you probably lived that life of obesity because of me.

Allow me to communicate with my younger self... If I could, I would tell myself to stick up for the underdogs in the schoolyard, the ones who go to school everyday with a target on their back. To never let a day go by without laughing with your friends. That surfing is cool and to go as often as you can because there are few feelings comparable to riding the face of a wave and it never. gets. old. That when you think you're in love with her as a freshman in high school, you're really not so get back to your homework.

Father Time, do me a favor and please turn back the clock...because as I'm sitting here on my bed right now, I'm thinking that growing up isn't cut out to be like everyone says it is.



2 comments: